WASHINGTON - Amazon, the largest online retailer of books, movies, music and games, Friday offered its Kindle e-book platform to fan fiction authors to sell some of their work. Fan fiction is literature inspired by popular books, shows, movies, comics, music, and games. Publication outside of blogs and online fanzines is often difficult because of copyright issues. Amazon Publishing has ...
Since shopping is practically a sport in the Middle East, did they find it challenging to be up against the biggest and the best? Was it difficult to carve a niche for an online boutique when customers have the world's biggest mall right at their ...
File image - Dozens of spaza shop owners from Pakistan, Somalia and Ethiopia were attacked, their stock looted and doors ripped down in Gauteng. Photographer: David ...
As social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter grow worldwide, more Internet retailers are beefing up their efforts to add social twists to their business, trying to define the idea of "social commerce" and capitalize the opportunity.On Wednesday, online auction giant eBay revealed some of the social features it is planning to launch later this year, while Copious, a San ...
Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich her battle looks like peanuts compared to the action by American retailers on credit card fees. Photograph: Sportsphoto/Allstar/Cinetext ...
Winds: From the SE at 13.0 MPH Gusting to 20.0 MPH
Wolfgang Petersen's Troy is a serious, big-budget take on the ancient Greek myth spun in Homer's The Iliad, but there's really only one thing we can say about it for sure: Everyone looks really good. While the unstated purpose of the film is to humanize the ... ...
Pot proprietors seeking to open a medical marijuana shop will have to pony up at least $83,000 in fees, according to new rules proposed by state health officials.The Department of Public Health expects to collect more than $3.9 million from pot shops and patients in the first year and is looking to create a Medical Marijuana Trust Fund to keep the revenue, acting Commissioner Cheryl Bartlett ...
While retail property owners are desperate to fill vacancies, and are likely to ink leases with tenants who produce little or no sales tax revenue, Deerfield officials are looking for new ways to make up those lost tax dollars.Look no further than the former Borders bookstore, said Deerfield Village Manager Kent Street. After it closed, the sales tax-lucrative location eventually became a ...
Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Starbucks among those who will opt out of settlement, might file own lawsuits NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A multibillion-dollar settlement over credit card swipe fees is facing growing opposition from some of the nation's largest retailers.A number of merchants are opposing the deal, saying the nation's credit card companies would still have unlimited power to increase ...
Police learned that two suspects entered an apartment and woke a male resident at gunpoint. The resident was not injured. The suspects fled the scene, fired several shots back at the apartment and sped off in a vehicle. Friday, police arrested 20-year-old Adrian Michael Luley and 21-year-old Kathryn A. Hunter. Luley has been preliminarily charged with burglary, a Class B felony, robbery while ...
NEW YORK - Target Corp., Macy's Inc. and 15 other retailers sued Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc. over credit card and debit card fees after dropping out of a multibillion-dollar settlement of a similar case. The biggest U.S. payment card firms illegally restrained competition for interchange fees by setting default rates and imposing almost identical rules for accepting cards, the retailers ...
What They Said
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Mantra on Jolimont, East Melbourne, Australia
Right from our arrival the Mantra on Jolimont had an air of friendliness, and a sense that the property was ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Shanghai SunShanghai Sun | Online News Service for Shanghai
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of all of the latest news from Shanghai. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Shanghai Sun is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Shanghai.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Shanghai weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Shanghai Sun is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
As many as nine people, including three children, died in a fire that broke out in China's Guangdong province early Friday, fire authorities said.
The flames engulfed an automobile repair shop in Foshan city in the morning, reported Xinhua citing a fire brigade official.
It was a single-storey building, existing as shop-cum-residence, the official said, adding that the fire was later doused.
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- China to allow US auditors access to records of Chinese firms
- Croatia looking to oil exploration in Adriatic Sea to revive economy
- Amazon ventures into fan fiction promotion
- China central bank report promises financial sector reforms
- Gupta property one among 63 000 objections
- This Housing Recovery Has Legs Michael Santoli
- Have Government Programs Helped Homeowners
- Gold equities as real estate plays – Lo
- Dubai builder Arabtec wins $108 mln hospital contract in Saudi
- TRA Participates in the 5th World TelecommunicationsICT Policy Forum
- HS2 benefit cap and broadband roll-out Government flagship projects are unachievable
- Fidelity sees opportunities in telecoms and healthcare
- Got broadband Access now extends to 94 percent of Americans.
- LoanLove.com Helps First Time And Experienced Homeowners To Find Loans They Will Love
- Amazon ventures into fan fiction promotion
- Clothes shopping from home with theDRESSroom.com
- Foreign-owned spaza shops looted
- More Internet retailers add twists to define social commerce
- MasterCard and Visa battle it out with retailers in world war fees
- West End marks 350 years of theatre
- News Corp. Board approved companys split into two public traded entities
- Mariah Careys dress splits
- Ive been offered work in exchange for sexual favours says Myleene Klass
- MJ was dubbed the freak by gig comeback bosses
- Lydia Davis hints at move to microblogging fiction
- Beach expert makes his top 10 picks for summer
- Sequestration threatens holiday fun as summer nears
- Consumer Reports sunscreen ratings Which is tops
- Sandy-shocked Jersey Shore seeks summer comeback
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Shanghai Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Nine dead in China shop fire
- Shanghai China To Extend Visa-Free Stays To 72 Hours
- Zhejiangs SMEs quickening pace of stock listings
- Zhejiang nanny held for putting poppy straw in mother-to-bes diet
- JA Solar to Hold Annual General Meeting on June 28 2013